As promised, here are the Top Ten Baby Items for 6 Months to 9 Months.
10. Baby Monitor. I know I know I know... I'm repeating because I already listed the baby monitor on my Top Ten 0-3 Month list. But I'm listing it this time for a completely different reason. These days, I have much less anxiety about SIDS and I don't study the monitor as often to check for signs of life after he has been asleep a little longer than normal. This time, the monitor is on the list for mom and dad to cut loose a little bit. We took the monitor to the beach with us so we could play cards and boardgames and drink wine after Will went to sleep. Brett also figured out that the monitor gets range all the way to the neighbors house so now we can join the neighbors for late night cocktail hour while all the kiddies are alseep and tucked into their beds. Pour me another margarita :-)
9. Baby Books. Will actually has a little bit of an attention span these days. My favorite books are these "Little Pea", "Little Hoot", and "Little Oink" books (thanks to our fab neighbors for sharing these and their cocktails with us {see above}). Will's favorite books are whichever ones taste the best. We've all heard of "scratch and sniff" books, Will is just waiting for a "gum and yum" book.
8. Glider. I prob should have put this one into top ten earlier on. Oops - oh well. My parents have this gorgeous solid cherry wood glider they got in the Amish country. It is so smooth and quiet and peaceful. Initially, I was nervous about the wood being uncomfortable but I draped Will's comforter on the back and it is actually really soft to sit on. We use it for reading, for rocking, for feeding, and for snuggling. And when no one is looking, the cat likes to sleep on it.
7. High Chair. Luuurrrvveee this highchair. It's loud and it's ugly but it has a built in baby distractor and it taught me and Brett several new tunes that we find ourselves humming during all parts of the day. Sure, it's a bit harder to clean after Will gets chippy and blows me a sweet-potato/lamb raspberry kiss, but hey... at least it's distracting him long enough to get the sweet potato/lamb mixture in his mouth.
6. Night Lights. I dotted the walls of the house with these lovely lights. There is one in Will's room, one in the kitchen, one in the hall, one in the bathroom, one in our room, I'm pretty sure there are more but who knows. With the walls gently illuminated in the light green/blue/yellow LED glow, I can take the 3am zombie-walk through the house with one eye half open and still navigate my way downstairs, open the fridge (ahhhh blinding fridge light), pour a bottle, put it in the bottle warmer, go back upstairs to use the bathroom, change Will's diaper, feed him, put him back to sleep, sleepwalk to kitchen to put bottle in sink, then back to bed WITHOUT TURNING ON A SINGLE LIGHT! I consider myself a 3am genius.
5. Remote Control. Best accidental baby toy ever. Press the rubber buttons and they light up and all of a sudden Telemundo is on and the volume is near deafening. Sweet.
4. Walker. I know these are supposed to be illegal or something; pegged as baby death traps. Seriously though, what kind of moron leaves their children unattended in these things while stairs are within rolling distance??? If you ask me, the walker is pretty awesome - just use common sense and supervise your baby while he/she is in it. We mostly use it on our new back patio or in the garage when it's raining and we can't take a stroller walk. Also, we ALWAYS make sure one of us are at the bottom of the hill with the gatorade bottles (pins) when we send Will (bowling ball) down the driveway hill in his walker. Ok - maybe we could be labeled unfit parents for that - but you see the look of joy and elation on that baby's face and you would do the same.
3. Swimmer Diapers. They go on like pull ups and they tear at the sides for easy-off. They are about as effective as cheese cloth for containing number ones (found that one out the hard way) but thankfully they contain the number twos (honestly that's what really matters). We have a little water baby on our hands so these are fantastic for encouraging our future freestyler.
2. Silicone Freezing Tray. I've been making a lot of homemade baby food. This thing is pretty cool for freezing individual chunks of baby food for easy thawing and feeding. Sorry, I would say something funny, but the Olympics are on and I'm totally distracted.
1. Baby Brezza. This baby food maker is pretty freakin sweet. It is SOOO much healthier and cheaper to feed baby when you control what is included in the food - and seriously, the food tastes SOOOO much better. This was a MUST once we determined that Will has food allergies. I can make foods that Will can eat that you cant find in the grocery store (think prune + lamb) and leave the grocery store foods that Will cant eat (think anything with bananas or corn) on the shelves. This is the Ronco Rotisserie of baby food makers - you just "set it and forget it". It steams, it blends, it purees, it is dishwasher safe. Super cook super cool.










No comments:
Post a Comment