Saturday, June 9, 2012

New Job

I am one week in to the new job and I have survived this first week.  So far so good.  It was definitely sad leaving MicroStrategy.  After being there for almost 5 years, I really got comfortable there and created a lot of great friends.  My last day at MicroStrategy was Friday, May 18th.   Then I had two weeks off; one of which was spent at the beach, and the second week was spent prepping for the new job and for Darcy's wedding.  It was really nice having that time off and I didn't want my vacation to end (honestly though - who EVER wants vacation to end).  But alas, all good things must come to an end, and it was back into the workforce for this girl.

The new job is with CSC and I'm a Corporate Technical Accounting Manager.  That's just a fancy term for I'm the last line of defense and giver of advice for the accounting treatment of complex transactions.  And that's just a fancy term for I'm a nerd with a calculator.  In all seriousness though, it's an exciting opportunity because it get's me back into every facet of accounting - because at MicroStrategy, I was only a subject-matter expert on ONE very particular type of accounting. I have a great skill set from MicroStrategy and my experience there will get put to good use.  

I spent the past week reading, reading, oh, and reading.  Reading about the corporate policies, corporate culture, public filings, accounting pronouncements, accounting guidance, documentation of issues.  I attended and listened in to a good number of meetings and I'm starting to get a feel for what is important and where I am expected to help. 

There are some pros and cons of this new job.  
FOOD:  Pro: There is a cafeteria right downstairs and so far my dining experience there has been positive.  The soups and sandwiches are from Au Bon Pain. There's a hot grill and a salad bar and a few other stations.  So, when I get too lazy to make my own lunch, I can actually get something other than food court fare. Con: Chipotle isn't within walking distance.

OFFICE SPACE: Pro: At MicroStrategy - all the walls were glass and cubes had no walls.  With this new job there are no cubicles/glass walls so no more gophering and no more 'everyone can see when I go to the bathroom'.  Con:  I share an office with my boss. You would think that after working in the super-open-ness of MicroStrategy that I would be used to working with absolutely no privacy.  It turns out, sharing a room with one person is harder than sharing a floor with fifty.

COMMUTE: Pro: No mall traffic.  Con: Beltway traffic. 

DRESS CODE: Pro: I don't have to see tech support people wearing critter hats, Jesus sandals and graphic tees.  Con: Suits, ugh.

That's about all right now.  Will post again soon!



No comments:

Post a Comment