As promised, here is an updated post for Will's first solid foods. My mom and dad were up visiting (Mom to watch Will and Dad to supervise the demolition of the back yard). I thawed a couple cubes of the sweet potato puree that I had made a couple nights before. I sat Will down in his highchair and hoped for the best. My mom was especially skeptical and she was armed with the video recorder and camera in order to capture what she was sure would be icky faces, spitting, and total first food failure.
I scooped up a little bit of the puree onto the spoon and tentatively inched it towards Will's mouth. Before I knew it, Little Will had his hand on the spoon and was guiding the sweet potato into his mouth himself! It went over really well and it seemed like Will really liked it! So promising. This was a piece of cake and it made a liar out of my mom. Two cubes down and he was filled to the brim with sweet potato puree.
I waited a 24 hour period to see if there were any signs of allergic reaction. But there was no vomit, rash or any G/I issues (YAY!). As advised by the allergy doctor, I was to wait at least a week with each food to see if an allergic reaction would crop up. It has been a few days and so far no reaction - so hopefully we can have sweet potatoes as a 'cleared food'.
The next day, I thawed THREE cubes of sweet potato puree; confident of the success from the prior night. This time eliciting a completely opposite reaction. He would not open his mouth, he cried, any sweet potato that happened to make it in his mouth was spit right back out. Where was Mom with the video recorder and camera this time?!?! The next few times after that were much of the same: total failure. I've tried many different methods: trying only when he is hungry, mixing in some of his formula, handing him the spoon to feed himself, pretending to eat the food and making yummy sounds. All FAIL. It looks like we have a "Mikey" on our hands.
I'm planning on trying pureed carrots at the end of this week. Wish me luck and any tips or suggestions -greatly appreciated :-)
SO glad he didn't react! Just keep offering the food. Most babies are resistant at first. He'll decide it is fun after a while.
ReplyDeleteThanks Judy! We got him to like the soft texture of the sweet potatos. We tried carrots and he hasn't been a fan of the looser/watery texture of the carrots and has gagged a few times. We usually thaw the frozen cubes in a ramakin in the microwave. And just last night we might have found something that works - allownig him to 'drink' the pureed carrots directly from the ramakin. I think he liked it because chewing on the ramakin helps ease the teething pain.
ReplyDelete