Tuesday, May 1, 2012

A new Job!


It’s funny how things sometimes work out.  Back in July 2011, I got a call from a recruiter/headhunter.  I usually cut these people off at the gates “no thank you – not interested [hang up]” but this lady got her schpele in before I could get a word in edgewise.  After listening to her describe a new opportunity, it actually sounded like something that I would be interested in.  The opportunity was at CGI and many of the benefits sounded too good to be true.  I went and interviewed and they were prepared to make me an offer, but being as I was 7 months pregnant, I was majorly concerned with the amount of maternity they could offer (which was not very good considering I wouldn’t qualify for maternity as a new employee).  So ultimately I stayed with MicroStrategy and didn’t think much else of it.  Fast-forward to William’s birth and my three months of maternity came and went.  Mid-March 2012 rolls around and the same recruiter sends me another job posting – very similar to CGI but instead with Computer Sciences Corporation (CSC).  The position is for the Technical Accounting Manager and I would be responsible for reviewing accounting conclusions made by the field accountants, researching new accounting pronouncements and determining how they impact the business, training the field, and being the general go-to person when field members have questions.  It is kind of similar to what I did at MicroStrategy except on a broader basis.  Once again the benefits look great and the pay increase would be fantastic.  There were two major drawbacks: 1) I currently get 20 days of vacation at MicroStrategy and this new position only gets 10 days of vacation, and 2) I would go from a casual environment to a business professional environment (yuck – business suits every day!).  But the rest of the facets are very exciting: I would get to work on areas of accounting that I haven’t touched on in quite some time, the pay increase is awesome, I would be in a new group that is growing and developing, great career/marketability advancement.   I am definitely nervous about change (so scary not knowing what to expect) but I am excited for the new opportunity to prove myself and try something new.   I am certainly sad to be leaving some of my co-workers at MicroStrategy – but I will hopefully keep in touch with them and still see them regularly.  I start my position at CSC on Monday, June 4.  But before I do there are a MILLION things that I need to get done (patio replacement, projects around the house, Darcy’s bridal shower, family beach week at Corolla, Darcy’s wedding, etc).  I also need to shop for a whole new ‘work wardrobe’ since my jeans and casual shirts that litter my closet need to be replaced with suits and blazers.  Who wants to go shopping with me?  J

1 comment: